"Towards Kenbane"

"Towards Kenbane"
Spectacular Irish coastline on a stormy day

Friday 3 July 2015

Summer Arrives!

I have been terrible as far as posting is concerned - there are always so many other things needing done and, when you have Fibromyalgia, COPD and Osteoarthritis, time management is a major issue..... sorry all!

We have all been moaning about the cold, wet and stormy weather over Spring, yet, now that we are in the middle of a summer mini-heatwave, everyone groans about "how hot and humid it is"!  I guess we are not accustomed to higher temperatures over here and, who knows, this may be all the summer we get this year.  At least the sun is shining!




People here in Northern Ireland are really obsessed with all things weather-related.  It's quite amusing - everyone watches the forecast [knowing that it's probably wrong] but it gives us all something to talk about.

Bruno loves to come with me in the car and, like all clever dogs, constantly monitors for the tell tale sounds and movements that signal a potential trip [funny how they always seem to know when you're headed to the 'v-e-t' isn't it].  
Anyhow, last Monday, he was at the door before me.  It was a warm sunny  day but I figured he would be okay, parked in the shade with all the car windows open [and I always have doggie-water on board].  He dutifully kept the driver's seat 'safe' for me and patiently waited outside the shop.  
Even though I was literally five minutes, his tongue was nearly two feet long by the time I got back.  With his tail whirling round [in typical Labrador fashion], he greedily slurped up the water I offered and gave me his "ok let's go home now" look.



It got me thinking about heat exhaustion and just how little we realise how easily it can affect not only ourselves, but our pets too.  It doesn't have to be a sweltering hot day to be overcome - most of us do not drink nearly enough water at the best of times and, certainly not enough on warmer days too.  Just two days ago, while I was in the supermarket, I walked around the fruit and veg aisle to see a lady 'out cold' on the floor!  The ambulance arrived quickly and the store staff had already brought out a chair and a bottle of water.  The poor lady was suffering from heat exhaustion and had overheated to the point she fainted.... so, what treatment did the paramedics offer?  Simple..... more water!  

Mugsie [left] sneaks a lie in
On a different subject, we have a visitor to the garden every day - a lovely little feral black cat.  I love all animals, so, imagine the horror when we saw said cat make off with a baby rabbit in it's mouth!  On the opposite side of 'nature versus pampered'.... the photo on the left was taken by my hubby - it shows our [late] puss 'Mugsie' snuggled up behind me in bed [UNDER the duvet!!].... no foraging for food for him.  Such are the laws of nature.


It's more widely known now that I also paint under the name 'Michelle Carlin'. It is this work [all to commission] which keeps me so busy and out of mischief ... to the point that I haven't had a chance to get busy with the watercolour paints for quite a while!  With two exhibitions looming on the horizon, I really MUST allocate the time to sit down and start - there are a few spectacular photo reference images I took around our coastline that I am itching to work on and, will share with you on here...... in the meantime, here are a couple of Michelle Carlin paintings [acrylic on canvas and canvas board].....

Sunny Day on the Beach by Michelle Carlin


Red Balloon by Michelle Carlin


No comments:

Post a Comment